Thursday, September 25, 2008

This is CRIMINAL

I have to admit that I would consider myself in the group of Chocoholics. I have been known to eat my fair share especially around Halloween when I can secretly raid my kids' Halloween stash. I was a little devastated when I heard about what Hersey's had done. I have copied the story below.
On Friday, TODAY consumer correspondent Janice Lieberman reported that Hershey’s has switched to less expensive ingredients in several of its products. In particular, cocoa butter — the ingredient famous for giving chocolate its creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture — has been replaced with vegetable oil. Products such as Whatchamacallit, Milk Duds, Mr. Goodbar and Krackel no longer have milk chocolate coatings, and Hershey’s Kissables and M&Ms are now labeled “chocolate candy” instead of “milk chocolate.” The removal of cocoa butter violates the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s definition of milk chocolate, so subtle changes have appeared on the labels of the Hershey’s products with altered recipes. Products once labeled “milk chocolate” now say “chocolate candy,” “made with chocolate” or “chocolatey.”


Are you as shocked as I am? Cocoa butter replaced with vegeatable oil?? THIS must be a joke. I decided to try it out for myself. I purchased a bag of M&Ms yesterday that were labeled Chocolate Candies, and there is clearly a difference. They are not smooth and creamy in the middle, and the taste is different...almost a little grainy. I think I may have to ban Hershey's products for a while. (okay, maybe after Halloween....LOL!).


I couldn't help but think of the Friends episode where Monica tries her best at making a synthetic chocolate which she called Mocholate. Yes, that is what Hershey's is doing...they have changed their Milk Chocolate to Mocholate. SHAME ON YOU, HERSHEY'S!!!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

WHATT!!!! That just can't be! OH! the horrors! Oh well, They just made it easier for me to lose weight! Dang it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, is anything sacred anymore? That sure is going to take the fun out of cheating on my diet! Jojo

Anonymous said...

We heard this over the weekend!
Terry ischecking every chocolate
bar in the store! This is crazy!
We will have to check the bars that Grandma buys!

Leslie

morewineplease said...

Can we take legal action??