Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Traditions

Just the other day I was thinking that we don't do enough Christmas traditions with the kids each year, and I was trying to think of some new ones. Our only tradition has been their matching pajamas every year which they open on Christmas Eve. The below pic was from Christmas Eve 2007. I was super excited when I read my S-I-L's post about The Elf on the Shelf. I had never heard of it, but couldn't wait to go buy it.
The Elf on the Shelf kit comes with a book to read to the children which tells the kids the story and directions for their elf. It also comes with the Elf doll. You place the little elf around your home during the weeks before Christmas. During the holidays the elf watches children carefully during the day. At night when the kids are sleeping the elf magically returns to the North Pole to report to Santa Claus. In the morning the elf appears in a new place which offers a daily hide-and-seek ritual for kids. Kids will love trying to locate the elf's new location each morning. The book tells you to name your elf and also says you can't touch your elf, but you may talk to him. We placed our book under the tree for the kids to find last night. They were so excited to start reading and about half way through the book, they located our elf on the mantel.
Introducing...PRINCE DIDDO. I really thought GiGi would love this. I didn't know how GTO would feel about it, but he was the one that is obsessed with Prince Diddo. He hopped out of bed so fast this morning to go hunt for Prince Diddo. This will be a fun tradition for years to come. Thank you Prince Diddo for coming to our house!

8 comments:

morewineplease said...

LOVE IT!!! So glad we are all elfing!!

Anonymous said...

Bec, you have so much fun with the kids,, wish Elf was around decades ago when my boys were young. Have fun!
Trudy

Anonymous said...

Again........what a great Mom you are and how lucky your kids are to have you. What a great idea......I'm headed to the book store at lunch time........toni

Krouts Sprouts said...

well i think you do great things with your kids and the things you don't realize are traditions are the ones they will remember and do with their own kiddos one day! your doing great friend!
i can't wait till coleman is a little bit older to do Elf!!!

kjanedesigns said...

I think I want that book too! Think Miss Priss is too young to understand?
We do the Christmas Eve PJs too! My parents did it for my lil'bro and me all growing up and now we do it for Miss Priss. One of my favorites is that we always open our PJs, get dressed in them, and then read the Night Before Christmas together.

Yellow Beads said...

I have seen this on several blogs this year....I'll have to rememer it next Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Look at Greyson's baby face! He is getting so big!

Grandma

Stella's World said...

Your children are so beautiful!!
Thanks for your comments- it doesn't bother me when guys like Sam Bradford are repetitive- maybe if he was cocky- but he's not-what a wonderful young man!He's probably not on the debate team or used to being in public speaking.
I wish him the absolute best!
He's going to be a leader!
Merry Christmas!