Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blast from the Past

It was 1985, Ronald Reagan had taken oath for his second term as 40th president, Back to the Future was playing at the theater, families gathered in the evening to watch The Cosby Show and Family Ties, kids were found dancing in their rooms to Madonna, Wham, Chaka Khan, and the Dire Straits, various artists came together to record We are the World, compact discs were introduced to American consumers, Coke changed it's formula, MTV actually played music videos, and my family loaded up the Oldsmobile and made the cross country move from Los Angeles to Small Town, OK (population 22.000). I was 9 years old and had 6 weeks of 3rd grade left. On my first day at my new school, I met Syl. We instantly became best friends and were inseparable. We spent hours playing Knight Rider on the Apple 2e, learned to water ski together, spent recesses with our shoes tied together just so we could trip each other, did silly impersonations of Balki and Larry from the Perfect Strangers TV show, saved up our money every summer for back to school shopping trips in Dallas, spent countless hours cruising Small Town, OK in her red convertible, rode numerous roller coasters together, and went through rush for our high school sorority where we were hazed and humiliated in town. We remained close friends through high school, but then parted ways when we attended different colleges. Now when I see GiGi and her little friends bonding, I often think back of the times spent with Syl as a child. Today, Syl and I live in different parts of the country, and only keep in touch through occasional e-mails. A few months ago, I received an e-mail from Syl stating she would be coming through my town with her extended family and asked if I would be available to take pictures. I immediately cleared my calendar, and anxiously awaited to meet her beautiful little girl for the first time. We realized it had been 9 years since we saw each other last, and talked as fast as we could in between snapping shots of her beautiful family.




Not only did I get to catch up with Syl, but I also got to photograph her sister's family which includes this adorable baby boy who is 4 months old...more to come of him later.
Syl - I really hope it is not 9 more years before I see you again. Keep in touch!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the baby buggy shot! What darling babies.
Jojo

Anonymous said...

the buggy shot is the best..........you are just a good friend to have.....she is lucky....toni

Anonymous said...

what a great post! i love the memories you put on your blog. you are such a great writer, and have a great memory! those were good, glad i could come and help. mel

Krouts Sprouts said...

oh bec i agree with all the comments above about you! you are a great photographer, great writer, and great friend to have!
what a cutie little girl they have. and great memories for you to remember of your friend!
by the way...my sister and i too used to save up summer money for shopping trips to dallas!

Anonymous said...

OH Bec, you could easily be a writer and photographer of children and families,, you know what to look for and catch the expressions so well in each little face. Very proud of you my friend.
Trudy

Anonymous said...

Becky, I was sitting in the salon waiting for my haircut appointment when I read this, and I was cracking up and fighting back the tears, all at the same time! So many great memories, and thanks for sharing!!! You are so wonderful for doing this, and it was so great seeing you this past weekend! You definitely have a special gift... Anyway, thanks again, and hope to see you soon! Love, Syl