Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ear Infection Cure

I wanted to post this information in case anyone else has had a miserable time with ear infections.

Photobucket

GiGi has had recurring ear infections most of her life. She has had three sets of tubes. The pediatrician always put her on one of two antibiotics (Augmentin, Z-pak) which never seemed to help. The ENT's answer always seemed to be to put tubes back in her ears which I didn't want to do again if we could avoid. Her right ear has been clear for a while which led me to believe she was starting to outgrow the ear problems, but her left ear is a different story. It has had green gunk running out of it for the past year. I am not exaggerating when I say A YEAR. It is one infection that will NEVER go away. I knew there had to be another alternative. Before we left for the lake last week, I decided to take her to an am/pm clinic that is by our house. I finally had a physician that sat down and discussed options with me. She stayed in the room for at least 30 minutes and actually seemed to believe me that GiGi had the one infection that would not respond to oral antibiotics. After we discussed it for a while, we decided to try a very strong antibiotic shot called Rocephin. She warned that it would be very painful, and that the shot would have to be given three days in a row. I hated to put my baby girl thru pain, but I really wanted her ear to be healed before the infection caused any more hearing damage. Since the dosage for the shot was so strong, they decided to divide it into two shots. The first two days(4 shots), GiGi did wonderful...hardly made a wimper. On the third day, we got a different nurse who didn't divide the shot into two, and it must have hurt really bad, because she SCREAMED in pain. It was horrible, but I am happy to say that her ear seems to be clear. I am so relieved! Thank you, ROCEPHIN!
Photobucket
Side Note - Yes, it is the middle of summer, but GiGi HAD to wear the red sweater. It wasn't worth the battle. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yae, it worked, so happy for little Gigi,, and she sure looks good in Red,, smart girl! Hugs to you little one. Trudy

morewineplease said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!! Those eyes are amazing!!
So glad the shots worked

Anonymous said...

Gi Gi I am so glad you are feeling better! Sorry the last shot was so bad!

Love, Grandma

Krouts Sprouts said...

yes that is a miracle drug isn't it!!! i've had to have it before as well, yes sweet Gigi the shot hurts like the dickens! but i'm so glad she's on the road to recovery!!
her pics are beautiful too!!